Peeves, Perspectives and The Flag



They gag on our flag - 
 the old was "better". 

how was it better
being thrown off beaches; 
out of trains, 
buried in drains -
barred from restaurants; 
forced to enter side gates; 

fed 2nd rate education; 
kicked from our homes; 
forcibly moved and 
imprisoned for crossing the
 "immorality act"; 
beaten and tortured; 
murdered; 
kicked and head-butted 
for not having a pass; 
playing music in secret places; 
stealing away to indulge in the arts; 
punished and 
whipped when caught; 
earning painful salaries; 
called supervisor not 
original designer;
transferring your skills
for nought. 

How was it better 
when bodies went missing; 
domestic workers
raped and harassed; 
mixed babies born;
not by men black or brown; 
how was life better when we couldn't move beyond our space after 6.

what joy was derived when 
unable to fulfil your desired ambition because your colour wasn't right -

ambushed and killed 
for fighting darkness and evil.
If freedom of speech was a man
one could say he died a "million" deaths.

How is the old justified  
when we were denied representation -
Barricaded and shut down,
Barbed and buried alive;
gassed and shot in the back.
fenced to die 
by our own hand -
A master-minded plan;
"Strip hope and over populate".
some like me escaped 
these gruesome deeds - 
others died.

I grew up protected;

I lived as in a dream

I awakened from my trance
to enter purgatory;
the terror of dead men walking.
My mind opened,
my heart wept
my feet followed.

I will never dream that dream again -
the green mile was a mile too long,
the fantasy is gone, 
all that was left was
my antipathy to ruthless tyranny.

the horror took more than lives;
it stole visions and dreams,
but that's the way nightmares go.
my reverie is done.

My pen is raised -
my voice loud
my defiance unfeigned - 
never again will I be enslaved. 

While one flag speaks of dedicated oppression and segregation;
the other of grave disappointment
and hope, 

But I sleepwalk no more -
Tata Madiba walked alone;
but for peeves and perspectives,

flags are not my quest -

Freedom is.


(c) Jambiya

"The power of words".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cedric Cobham - The Downs Freak

A Man Called David Mungoshi

Mother What Have You Done!